Monday, March 14, 2011

(So-called) Brothers

“But you can’t just leave your family, Chris!”
“I can when they aren’t my family anymore, Evan!”

There was bite on the last word. He said it with such a scathing remorse, as if he was disgusted by the very nature of the word, as well as the person it represented.

“Look, you’re my brother....I’m, I’m your brother….Chris we’re brothers, damnit!”
“It’s just…it’s just not working anymore, ok? I have the right to choose, and I’m choosing not to be your brother anymore.”

Chris was right. Under the new laws, any family member could break away, could just up and leave, and be legally considered a member of another family. Emotions be damned, consequences expected, thousands of people were already walking out on their families. It was as if it was the season, or something. He had been waiting, Evan knew. Chris had been waiting for a way out of living with Evan, of being around Evan. Well, Chris provided the answer. Chris provided the answer for the dilemma for not wanting to live with him.

Chris just left.

Chris took Evan's brother with him. His best friend was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment